The COBIT® Foundation course is a 3-day, interactive, classroom-based learning experience. Participants learn about the need for an IT control framework and how COBIT® addresses this need by providing a globally accepted IT governance and control framework. This course explains the elements and supporting materials of the COBIT® framework using a logical and example-driven approach for everyone interested in obtaining Foundation-level knowledge of COBIT®.
A wide range of business managers, IT management consultants, IT governance professionals, and auditors who wish to gain a better understanding of COBIT and what it can provide to their organization
At the end of this course, participants will gain competencies in:
- Identifying how IT management issues affect organizations.
- Recognizing the need for a control framework driven by the need for IT governance.
- Understanding the principles of IT governance, how IT governance helps address IT management issues, and who should be responsible for IT governance.
- Identifying how COBIT® meets the requirement for an IT governance framework.
- Understanding how COBIT® is used with other standards and best practices.
- Identifying the COBIT® Framework and all its components — control objectives, control practices, and management guidelines.
- Understanding how to apply COBIT® in a practical situation.
- Identifying the functions that COBIT® provides and the benefits of using COBIT®.
- Identifying how the use of COBIT® is supported by ISACA.
- Master COBIT® at a Foundation level.
- Interact and learn from peers in this intensive, group-learning exercise.
- The case-study-driven learning enables the participants to apply COBIT® in their day-to-day practice.
- The course is a stepping stone for the COBIT® Implementation Methodology course as well as other COBIT® courses.
CONNECTION WITH STANDARDS EXPLAINED
The course explains how other standards and frameworks complement COBIT®: ITIL v3, ISO/IEC 38500, ISO/IEC 27002, COSO, Implementation Guide, IT Assurance Guide, Security Baseline, and Val IT 2.0
Scenario-driven learning has always been one of the key success factors of the COBIT® Foundation course, as it puts participants in the right mindset to apply the principles of COBIT® in real life. The new case study takes this into account and builds on it by:
- Providing more business-focused challenges through situations and cases.
- Presenting a real-world connect using situations that can occur in the day-to-day life of participants.
- Discussing the application of COBIT® with others.
- The course includes an Exam Preparation module, preparing participants to take on the COBIT® Foundation exam on the third day of the course.
- The exam is in closed-book format, with 40 multiple-choice questions. The pass score is 70% (28 out of 40 questions). The exam lasts for 60 minutes.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|Course Introduction||The COBIT® Components Part I||Inter-relationships with other Frameworks, Standards & Regulations|
|Why COBIT®?||Assignement 3: Preparing for the Management Meeting||Exam Preparation Guide|
|COBIT®: An Introduction||Self Study|
|Assignment 1: IT Challenges for Callwick||The COBIT® Components Part II||Exam|
|The COBIT® Cube||Assignment 4: The Resolution for Callwick||Closure & Feedback|
|Assignment 2: Video on Demand is Launched||Assurance Guidance|
|Homework (review of day’s material)|